Driving you forward in functional safety
The ISO 26262 standard governs functional safety in the automotive industry. It applies specifically to the use and functional safety of electrical/electronic systems in motor vehicles and to suppliers of generic products such as hardware and software components or development tools that are primarily used in the automotive sector.
The ISO 26262 addresses the increasing complexity of safety-relevant electrical/electronic on-board systems. It defines requirements to be met by processes, methods and tools which are used within the development process, as well as the safety relevant function of the system itself.
Functional safety requirements are challenging for manufacturers, who not only need to consider functional safety requirements from the very beginning of the development process, but also need to ensure functional safety from the design to the end of operation lifetime, based on existing as well as future regulations, standards and procedures. As an independent organisation with longstanding experience in the automotive sector and regulatory compliance, TÜV SÜD can support with a comprehensive range of functional safety assessment, testing, certification and training services.Our functional safety services complement a complete portfolio of services for the Automotive industry.
The Automotive Safety Integrity Level (ASIL) of a Safety Function is a measure of risk reduction provided by the safety function in the product. ASIL is defined in four steps, from ASIL A (the lowest amount of risk reduction) to ASIL D (the highest amount of risk reduction). For safety functions with a relatively low criticality, ASIL A may be appropriate. Safety functions will a high degree of criticality may require a ASIL C or ASIL D Designation.
Services at a glance
Testing and Independent Safety Assessment (ISA) during the development process
TÜV SÜD conducts product testing, mostly based on the development documentation, on-site assessments (audits, inspections), resulting in a Technical Report:
- Evaluation of systems
- Risk analyses – SIL or ASIL ratings
- Review of specifications and requirements
- Concept and design analyses
- Evaluation of software and tools
- Analysis of development processes
- Architecture and design analyses
- Qualification and certification of software development tools
- Testing and certification of generic software components
- Evaluation of hardware
- Probabilistic analyses
- Failure effect analyses (FME(D)A)
- Failure tree analyses (FTA)
TÜV SÜD can certify your development tools and development processes, as well as your safety relevant product or system from IEC 61508 to ISO 26262.
TÜV SÜD conducts 2-4 day training programs for development teams for products on safety critical Electric & Electronic systems:
- Extensive modular training program for various technical topics
- Introduction to IEC 61508 and ISO 26262
- Safety management
- System design and system analysis
- Probabilistics, FMEDA, FTA
- Development of safety relevant software
- Customised in-house trainings
- We train and certify your personnel to become worldwide accepted functional safety experts for ISO 26262 according to the TÜV SÜD Personal Certification Program for Functional Safety (FSCP)